Thursday, December 16, 2004

Flying pigs and butterfly wings

Well, amidst the end-of-semester madness, this is what I've been doing. I counted up my Christmas gifts and realized I had so many things for everyone already, I actually had time to indulge myself.
The butterfly potholder is from this site: http://www.denisecrochets.com/
It's from a 1940's pattern, and it's under the Kitchen section. I swear with my hand on my heart this is the only potholder I have ever made, and I'm sure you can see why. It's irresistible in that "unashamedly-tacky-so-it's-really-sort-of-cool" way. I loved the colors and design so much that I made up this purse to try and capture the cheerfulness in portable form. I used that really simple granny square pattern, and added long sc and french knots...If I had not been in such a hurry to get it done, I would have made it more like the butterfly. I might even try making a miniature version of the bug to pin on the bag.

The pig exists because I had to buy a huge skein of pink Super Saver to make the bows for Ms. PacMan and I dislike pink. So I had to think of something to do with it.

Here's the pattern:
http://www.geocities.com/thelibrarian18/piggy.html

I've been experimenting with sewn felt creatures lately, too...that isn't crochet but it's still real neat! I'll post them after Christmas, since one of them is a present for my brother and I can't risk him seeing it....I've got some major Christmas spirit this year!

Dawn made some neat Buddhas....wildyarn.blogspot.com
Neat idea to give him a flower. I was trying to replicate some of those tiny red wooden figurines I have from Chinatown, so it never occurred to me to embellish them. Neat!

P.S. All my free patterns are now accessible from one page.....look for the link at the bottom of this page.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love the pig! I have been looking for a pattern of a pig, with no luck, and this will be perfect for a friend of mine. I love your wings too! Have a great day!

DAWN said...

Shannon,
You've done it again. The pig is soooo darn cute! and I love the butterfly! Very cheery colors indeed. I too am not a pink lover or even liker for that matter. He is irresistably, though. Can't wait to see your felt creations!
~DAWN

DAWN said...

Whoa! you changed your blog. Nicely done, Shannon. Have a great day.
~DAWN

Anonymous said...

Can You explain the Aerial Pig Wings directions? Starts with 3 sc...sc in what? There seems to be more wing than there are directions. What am I doing wrong?

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.